A workflow for earth and planetary geologic mapping in the digital domain
Istituto di Astrofisica e Planetologia Spaziali - IAPS
Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica - INAF
email@example.com / @afrigeri
Interpretative mapping and RS data
In a completely digital domain, we need:
- Spatial registration of dataset
- Information stacking
- Data interactivity (I/O)
GIS offer a useful environment
The craft of a geologic map in a GIS
We need 3 elements:
- Data interoperability
- Digitizing environment
- Graphical rendering (symbology)
There are 2 models for editing/storing vector data
- Eulerian model: node/boundary
- Points/line/polygon model
from Frigeri et al., 2004
Contacts to Geologic Unit loop
For point/line/polygon paradigm we need a geoprocessing loop
- Which are the pro/cons for each model?
- What are the software/tools available?
- Is there some tool/project still needed?
discussion is open at the poster session!